Employment Second Preference (EB-2)


Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees, or Persons of Exceptional Ability in the Arts, Sciences, or Business receive 28.6 percent of the yearly worldwide limit, plus any unused Employment First Preference visas.

All Second Preference applicants must have a labor certification approved by the DOL, or Schedule A designation, or establish that they qualify for one of the shortage occupations in the Labor Market Information Pilot Program (later).For Educational Evaluations in US visit UT Evaluators

A job offer is required and the U.S. employer must file a petition on behalf of the applicant. Aliens may apply for exemption from the job offer and labor certification if the exemption would be in the national interest, in which case the alien may file the petition, Form I-140, along with evidence of the national interest.

There are two subgroups within this category:

A. Professionals holding an advanced degree (beyond a baccalaureate degree), or a baccalaureate degree and at least five years progressive experience in the profession.

B. Persons with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences, or business. Exceptional ability means having a degree of expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered within the field.

In addition, you could also apply for the EB-2 National Interest Waiver, or NIW. This is a special situation in which the holder can bypass the PERM Labor Certification and job offer requirements, meaning that applicants can self-petition for the NIW. Educational Evaluations in US check here

However, you need to show that your work is beneficial enough that it would be in the nation’s best interest for the USCIS to waive the PERM and job offer requirements.

An EB2 visa lawyer can help you identify which subgroup may be more appropriate for your situation.